I’d like to invite you to a Salon in June. Earn your Cultural Competency CEUs in Orange County, as you learn more about the diversity, challenges, and successes to be found in the LGBT community.
Its my pleasure to offer this very unique course to you. My goal is to provide you with the most comprehensive and in-depth understanding of working with LGBTQ spectrum clients and families, and to build a network of therapists who are truly equipped to serve this community.
What is LGBTQ?
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning and everything in between that is non-heterosexual and non-gender conforming.
I’ve recently completed a survey and taken into account what you have shared about the class and what your professional needs are. Thank you!
As a result, I have a new format which maximizes what you said you found most valuable about the experience. This year, I’m offering a an introductory course and a half day case conference to go deeper!
I’m taking a new approach which gives you a chance to learn, digest, and then come together to go deeper into case discussion. I hope to repeat this model and create a space for networking and professional collaboration that will support you in your work.
I often hear from attendees that they have learned completely new information that they can apply with their LGBTQ clients as well as a personal shift in reflecting about their own experiences as a sexual/gendered person. I hope you will take this opportunity to learn about the intersection of gender, sexuality, race and class.
Of course, we will have a break for lunch and getting acquainted. Lunch will be provided by PDM.
Part 1 Thursday June 6, 2013 9am -1
Intro to Affirmative Therapy and Cultural Competency with
LGBTQ Clients and Family Systems (4 CEU’s)
- LGBTQ Identities 101
- LGBTQ History and the Lost Tribe
- Minority Stress Model and LGBTQ Mental Health
- Intersectionality and Multiple Minority Identity
- Gender Identity as Distinct form Sexual Orientation
- Transgender Clients and Gender Spectrum
- LGBTQ Youth at Risk
- Transference and Ethical Responses to Clients Seeking Orientation or Gender Identity Change will be discussed.
- Practicing Affirmative Therapy: GAP Model
- Complex Clinical Issues in LGBTQ Affirmative Therapy
- Dual Diagnosis
- Axis II
- Case discussions will demonstrate the complex challenges of culture, sex, gender and sexual orientation, religion and multiple minority status.
- Case presentations will also demonstrate the effective application of cultural competency and affirmative models in working with LGBTQ clients and their extended families.
- Attendees will have the opportunity to discuss their own cases for group discussion and feedback.
Lisa’s workshop is a fantastic sounding board for learning about the LGBT community. Her welcoming and nonjudgmental style allowed for participants with limited knowledge to feel comfortable. The resource materials are incredibly helpful to further one’s learning beyond her workshop. This workshop is money and time well spent.
Cara O’Donnell, MFT
Course will be offered at my Newport Beach office.
Address and map will be provided after registration.